The Northwest International Education Association, an incorporated non-profit consortium currently consisting of 15 colleges, was established in 1979. Our mission is to bring higher education institutions in the Pacific Northwest together to collaborate in increasing student and faculty opportunities for international exchange, education and training.
NIEA sponsors an annual faculty workshop centered on a global theme, co-sponsors a summer master teacher institute for college faculty with the University of Washington Jackson School of International Studies, sponsors mini-grants for faculty to develop units or entire courses for globalizing the curriculum, and assists member institutions to sponsor J-visa's for international scholars to travel to the U.S. to teach and conduct research.
- To support members in developing an international curriculum and to share innovations
- To promote the exchange of international faculty, staff, and students
- To provide a network for the sharing of ideas and resources
- To provide faculty development and student learning opportunities in the field of international studies.
- To provide services and opportunities in the international arena that are not available to or practical for members individually.